2014-10-08 - Golf Fore Kids Grants Released
The United Way of Story County (UWSC) Board of Directors has approved grants to be funded through the proceeds of the 2014 UWSC Golf Fore Kids event, held in August. Twelve proposals were received from Story County nonprofit agencies and 11 were approved for funding, totaling $22,000.
“We’re grateful for the support of the golfers, business sponsors and volunteers who helped make this year’s event the highest-grossing event we’ve had,” said Kurt Jensen, co-chair of the Golf Fore Kids committee. “We had fun, and the proceeds will help many kids and families throughout Story County.”
“We’re so thankful to be a recipient of a Golf Fore Kids grant from United Way of Story County,” said Lisa Heddens, Lutheran Services in Iowa (LSI) service coordinator. “Crisis childcare assists in emergency situations when a family is facing a crisis and has nowhere else to turn. The ultimate goal is to make sure children are safely cared for while giving families time to resolve the crisis or issue. The program serves children infant to age 12 and provides up to 72 hours of crisis childcare. LSI uses a network of registered child development providers and provides transportation.”
The recipients of the grants include the following:
- ACCESS (Assault Care Center): Creating custom Memory and Bingo games for youth to promote an understanding of safety in Internet-based relationships
- Ames Public Library: Promoting literacy to preschoolers through Project Smyles
- Legal Aid Society: Mandatory Mediation services and Children in the Middle classes
- Lutheran Services in Iowa: Beloit Summer School and Crisis Childcare
- Mainstream Living: Google Chrome Books to maintain client progress off-site
- RSVP: Speak Up - 5th graders learning the art of public speaking
- Threshold Learning Center: After-School Kids Club for youth in southeastern Story County (e.g. Colo, McCallsburg, Zearing)
- Youth and Shelter Services: Youth physical fitness and recreation to support better health
Planning for the 2015 Golf Fore Kids event will begin early next year. If you are interested in receiving information about sponsorships, golfing or the grants process, contact United Way of Story County at (515) 268-5142.