Learning loss occurs during the months when students are not in attendance in school. This is most significant in June through August, but the negative affects of learning loss can be experienced throughout the school year. United Way of Story County brings together multiple organizations to collaboratively serve students with community and school-based programs. These programs fit together to create a portfolio of supports addressing the unique and diverse needs of our youth, ensuring the opportunity to achieve academic goals.
Interested in Volunteering?
Visit www.uwstory.org/volunteer to fill out our volunteer form and select Summer Learning Program in the drop down.
OUT OF SCHOOL LEARNING
Story County Reads' Out of School Learning Team comes together monthly to coordinate a portfolio of programs:
- 4 school based sites
- 8 community based sites
- Programs impact students in all 7 school districts
All Aboard for Kids, ACPC, Ames Community School District, Ames Public Library, Ballard Community School District, Boys and Girls Clubs Story County, Campfire Heart of Iowa, Collins-Maxwell Community School District, ISU Extension and Outreach, Nevada Community School District, Nevada Public Library, Raising Readers in Story County, YSS
Our team's multi-prong approach addresses these needs:
- Healthy meals provided to combat hunger and the summer meal gap
- A caring and safe learning environment in all settings
- Engaging experiences rooted in academics and enrichment
- Social emotional supports to foster connections
- Volunteers to build community support