The United Way of Story County (UWSC) Board of Directors has approved grants to be funded through the proceeds of the 2022 UWSC Golf Fore Kids event, held in August. Over $24,000 was raised through this years’ event and grant funds will be dispersed to Story County nonprofit agencies to benefit children and family programs.
“We are so grateful for the continued support and generosity of our golfers, business sponsors, and volunteers,” said Allie Prusa, staff coordinator of the Golf Fore Kids event. “This year was the 22nd annual event with funds helping to offset costs of local programs that support families and children.”
One local need that received funding through the Golf Fore Kids grants was a new program through All Aboard For Kids, a summer camp for children on the autism spectrum. Full STEAM Ahead, an adult readiness program, focuses on building the vocational and life skills needed to successfully gain employment as an adult. Through career exploration, self-advocacy, financial management, and social skills, Full STEAM Ahead aims to provide pre-employment training for local teens with autism.
Grants were also awarded to support the following:
- ChildServe: Resources for Speech Therapy program such as treatment materials, standardized testing kits, and augmentative and alternative communication tools for children unable to vocalize.
- Cultivating Hope Farms: Discovery Experiences, Art and Animals which offers sensory rich art opportunities for those within the autistic community and their families to experience joy in an emotionally safe learning environment.
- Legal Aid Society of Story County: Assistance to families in Story County involved in child custody cases with court-ordered mediation to divert cases from going to court and a court-ordered class to assist parents in keeping their children out of the relationship and custody conflicts.
- Nevada Community Cupboard: Holiday Food Distribution project will serve additional holiday food items to pantry visitors in Eastern Story County during the holiday months.
- Iowa 4-H Foundation: Team Neutrino STEM classes offered through Ames Summer Enrichment Camps in 2023 to students in Kindergarten through 7th grade.
- Threshold Learning Center: Zearing afterschool program encouraging a life of service and outdoor experiences, grant funds will offer a free session for 10 students, with reduced fees for other attendees.
Planning for the 2022 Golf Fore Kids event will begin early next year. If you are interested in receiving information about sponsorships, golfing, or the grants process, contact United Way of Story County at (515) 268-5142.