Ames Ford has partnered with United Way of Story County to bring Wheels For Work to Story County. Ames Ford accepts donated vehicles into the program to be given a safety inspection and repaired to donate to a family in need of a vehicle. Giving a family a car makes child care, school, jobs, groceries, and medical appointments easily accessible – things that are so easily taken advantage of by those who have never had to be without a vehicle.
Donate a vehicle
For more information about making a tax deductible donation of your vehicle to the program, please contact Nick or Casey at Ames Ford at (515) 233-1913.
See the Impact
Receive a vehicle
To apply to receive a vehicle, the applicant must meet all of the following qualifications:
- Live in Story County
- Have children between the ages of birth and 18 living in the home
- Under 150% of poverty (guidelines can be found at familiesusa.org/product/federal-poverty-guidelines)
- Have the ability to budget for vehicle maintenance, fuel, and car insurance
- Employed or full-time student
- Have a valid Iowa driver’s license
- In the last two years, do not have an OWI or convicted of a violent crime, and have no more than two moving violations
- Household does not own a running vehicle
For more information about how to apply, please contact one of our partnering agencies: