The United Way of Story County (UWSC) Board of Directors has approved grants to be funded through the proceeds of the 2019 UWSC Golf Fore Kids event, held in August. Over $25,000 was raised through this years’ event and grant funds will be dispersed to Story County nonprofit agencies to benefit children and family programs.
“We are so grateful for the continued support and generosity of our golfers, business sponsors, and volunteers,” said Allie Prusa, staff coordinator of the Golf Fore Kids event. “This year was the 20th annual event, and we’re thrilled to continue to offer support to programs that help improve the quality of life for children and families in Story County.”
One local need that the event helped to support is after school care for children in the Zearing area. Threshold Learning Center (TLC) applied for a grant to cover the cost of ten students while also reducing the fees for another five students. The UWSC Golf Fore Kids grant will ensure that students can access quality after school care for free or at a reduced cost. Nutritious snacks for TLC programming will also be covered by the grant.
Grants were also awarded to support the following:
• ACPC: The purchase of a washer and dryer set and a replacement dryer for their preschool center
• Ames Public Library Friends Foundation: Expansion of the Early Literacy services by covering the cost of transportation to the Ames Public Library for children and caregivers/teachers from day cares and homes
• Camp Fire Heart of Iowa: Training the summer literacy coordinator with weekly instruction and support
• ChildServe: The purchase of a Hi Lo Electric Plinth table to help the Physical and Occupational Therapists better serve children of all ages, sizes, and abilities with concussions/brain injury, Autism Spectrum Disorder, Sensory integrations, musculoskeletal diagnoses, and neuromuscular diagnoses
• Lutheran Services in Iowa: Furnishings at the new People Place location to be used for parent education programming
• YSS: Celebrating 20 years of the Mentoring Program with special end of year activities